SJFA Tier 2 Line Up:
Hossein Habibi Nameghi
Rayyaan Ali Merali
Muhammad Mahdi Govani
The boys started with light shooting and passing warm up. This was followed up by a 2 min silence, all the boys including Belmont team stood together shoulder to shoulder in the middle of the pitch to pay respect and remember the fallen British soldiers. The 2 minutes’ silence was followed by a customary handshake as normally seen in a premiership match. The format of this friendly encounter was structured as three 15 min matches/playing time (7 aside).
SJFA’s formation was 2:3:1. Belmont started the match brightly having more of the ball, making good runs and creating few chances & near misses. This bright start paid dividend as Belmont went one up. SJ continued to absorb pressure but they were rewarded with a penalty following a handball which came out of a counter attacking cross into the box. Deen stood up to take the penalty, calmly slotting the ball home to the left of the goalkeeper. As the match went on SJFA continued to miss chances with shots over the bar and side, good pressing from Mehdi and Mohammad and excellent runs into the box by Adam. The upfront pressure meant that the defense was exposed, and Belmont capitalized on SJFA’s defensive gap with two quick goals.
The next game started with a slight change in defensive formation. Belmont started brightly again but they struggled to break SJFA with Deen, Haani and Mehdi providing solid defensive discipline, and Hossain, Mohammed and Amaar providing good defensive cover and hassling in the middle of the park. SJFA scored from an excellent shot by Adam. The game continued with SJFA missing a number of counter attacking chances, Husayn providing good pressure upfront from the wings. Belmont however managed to score one before the end.
In the final period, SJFA went a gear up with dominating display both defensively and offensively. Husayn went into defense and gave SJFA the discipline required at the back. Mehdi went into goal and produced a stunning save from a low shot but Belmont scored from the rebound. The goal did not dampen SJFA as they continued to put pressure and eventually managed to score two goals, the scorers were Haani and Rayyaan.
Overall Score: 5-4 to Belmont
Feedback/reminders for SJFA Team & Parents
- Work on defensive positioning & discipline.
- Work on improving passing going forward.
- Encourage risk taking in football matches and practices even if they make mistakes.
- Encourage match availability or participation. The more these kids play competitive matches the more they will develop even if they lose these matches.
- Pre or post game discussion/chat with children should avoid discussion on winning/losing or score line rather focus should be on the level of hard work, no of tackles, tracking back, dribbling, passing, shooting, saves etc.
- Homework: The more ball time these children have the higher will be their coordination, dribbling and composure with the ball. Coaches would encourage more ball time (size 3) at home (inside/outside) and parks during free time.