Sudbury Athletic FC vs SJFC


GK – Tauseef Kanji
Mazharali Gulam Hussein
Maisam Merali
Shahid Abbas Jaffer
Hussein Gulamhussein
Gibran Pirbhai
Yaseen Valjy
Mohamedasif Rajabali
Hussein Pirbhai (C)
Mohammed Gulamhusein
Imran Ladha
Abbasali Merali
Murtaza Merali
Maitham Gulamhussein
Amir Merali

It was an early Sunday Morning start for the SJFA 1st XI, one that we weren’t too thrilled about but nevertheless we made our way to Sudbury Athletic’s home ground.

After a quick warm up led by the stand in gaffer Huss Phirbai Jnr we made our way onto the pitch in our usual formation but a very attacking line up. It was a debut start for Asif Rajabali mentored by the 2 cap veteran Imran Ladha.

We started very slow as a team going 3-0 down within ten minutes but our heads did not drop as we continued fighting. Our first change broke to Mo Gulamhusein a simple one on one which didn’t go well for Mo as he passed it into the keeper’s hands As halftime approached we got into our groove playing fluid football, continuously encouraged by the gaff. Finally Yaseen Valjy was found in the pocket and slid Murtaza Merali in. A clever touch by the skipper lead to a penalty which he converted with confidence. Sudbury then scored again taking us into halftime at 4–1.

At halftime the coach preached some wise words makingp sure we knew the 4-4 all draw was still on the cards. The team walked out onto the field again unchanged from the end of the first half. Gib was patrolling the CDM area giving the two central midfielders licence to roam.

The second half was a much better performance with a second goal coming from wide play, a beautiful cross put into the corridor of uncertainty by Amirali lead to an own goal, 4-2. Sudbury then scored a penalty making the game 5-2 but we kept fighting. Hus Gulamhusein our top goal scorer played a lovely lofted through ball to the young talent Yaseen Valjy who managed to tuck the ball into the back of the next after fighting through numerous challenges making the score 5-3, kissing his wrist in celebration as the team ran back to restart the game. Constant pressure was applied by our wingers and defensive solidarity was ensured by our full backs. With 10 minutes to play Hus received the ball and drove into the box in turn winning a penalty that was tucked away calmly by Amirali. With all to play for we pushed to find that 5th goal but fell short at the last hurdle.

Big shout to our fans who had come out on our first away day as a team, we forever appreciate your support and will make sure to thrive to be better for our next fixture at home to Baldock Reserves.

Man of the match goes to Yaseen Valjy awarded to him officially by the team and not just his own ego.

Written by Yaseen Valjy