With BoJo deciding to halt the progress of SJFC Eagles U10 team with placing us in Lockdown 2.0, this didn’t deter the Eagles arranging virtual team Master Chef Challenge which had 2 objectives:
- Ensure the boys continued to interact / bond during lockdown
- Allow the boys to improve their cooking skills – a skill that will hold them in good stead as they get older
The challenge was structure with 2 teams (below). The team managers (Jamila Nurmohamed and Nayyab Bhallo) had the task of arranging zoom calls to agree what was on the menu, and then collate the videos and make a collage. Jamila was admirably supported by her assistant manager, Suhaila Rashid.
A few unintended consequences of the challenge were:
- Some mum’s learnt how to edit videos, and thoroughly enjoyed it
- Some boys cooked a proper meal for the first time
- Some dads had to do the washing and cleaning. And now we should expect eagles dads to be the sous chef more often
Ammar Lalji (GK and captain)
Mikhial Rashid (captain)
Taha Rashid (ringer)
The referee, coach Jamil, then held a zoom call to commentate on the challenge. This was done in the form of a football match with each dish having a chance to attack the other team and try and score.
- Husain Bhallo’s steak scored for the Green
- Ali Nurmohamed’s pizza got it back to 1-1
- Jaabir Merali’s strawberry desert made Zayn Khatu slip as he was taking a shot
- Hassan Valjy was too busy drinking chaiwallah chai to take a shot
- Abbas Rajvani’s ran off the pitch with his mash
- And then controversially VaR ruled out Zain Dharas’ chocolate cake pudding for a goal at the death
It ended 1-1, and the boys will be back for a rematch this weekend with Lockdown 2.0, Challenge 2.0!
By Jamil Merali U10 Eagle’s Manager